Wednesday, June 01, 2005

five meals a day

Ah... have been a little addicted to WR lately, but things are kinda working against me now. I shouldn't mention what's wrong here. *shifty eyes* Never know who's reading this.

Attended the EC Networking session today. I didn't think that I would have a second chance to step onto the 25th storey of that Environment Building. It's...tall. o-o And kinda scary when you stick your head through that narrow window panel and look all the way down. I think one storey there is a little taller than one storey at home.

Oh well, but you always have this self-assurance that you'll not fall down, because that panel is too small anyway. Just don't think of the what ifs.

Took a trip down to Pulau Semakau (anyone heard of that?) where the landfill site is. At first, I felt kind of honoured that I can come all the way there without paying for anything, not the tea breaks, lunch, or the bus/ferry rides. Well, I still have to pay for my own transport to the building in the first place, but that doesn't really count.

But then, after a little thinking, you know that things shouldn't be this... good, you could say it that way. Ah... they surely want something out of us one day. I know it.

But I'll think about that another time. Right now I should be thinking about SIAs and such.

Went on a sight-seeing tour around the landfill, (nothing much actually, but it was nice seeing the scenery itself) and chased after a couple of birds, and many inanimate objects either lying by the roadside,in the cells, or on land in the middle of nowhere. Figuratively speaking, and chasing with a camera (it's not mine, I don't have the great luck to own one).

It goes something like this:

"See that white round things there? Those are the water monitors (I hope this is right)"

*sees one coming* When it's about 8 metres away,

'Snap!' **

"Ah...see those three pipes there? They are the pipes used to drain the water from the cells. When it's low tide...."

'Snap!'

"...geomembrane...."

*stations camera at window* *waits for a random chance*

'Snap! Snap!'

And much later...

"There's a white heron! You people are sure lucky to see one."

'Snap!'

less than three minutes later...

"...did you see that? A grey heron!"

*grey heron flies away*

"Argh!" 'Snap!'

*sees a grey heron again*

"Ahh!" 'Snap! Snap!'

*stops bus*

*frantic snapping by numerous people*

*moves on when satisfied, and the heron is kind of a celebrity.*
------
** - The camera has a somewhat slow reaction. So must plan/act in advance.

See? It's just like tourists on a holiday. Hahaha... never thought a ministry would make tourists out of their trainees. But then again, I wonder what they're going to ask in return... o-O

No comments: